Thursday, June 19, 2008

Stirrups

My RI put my stirrups up 2 holes today. We couldn't figure out what was going on. After I left the barn, I realized that I had never checked them when I got on so who knows not what hole they should have been in!! I think I may have been riding in too long stirrups anyway so next time I will try shortening them from my usual hole 11 and see how it feels. I did a lot of work the other day with no stirrups.

Today, all of a sudden, a major jump to the side and wild canter off. I stayed on but pretty well wrenched my back in the process. I think he may have been stung by something or bitten by a horsefly because afterwards he was trying to scratch his back leg. He is doing so much better with contact now and I can get him back right away when he evades the bit.

I'm doing much better lately with my riding. I have to keep in mind my constant collapse of my lright side which I'm thinking is due to one, being right handed, and two, carrying a purse on my right shoulder all these years. I have to make myself think about weighting my inside stirrup and outside seatbone and keeping my inside shoulder back. The big improvement tho, is that I am developing a better feel for what is going on. The secret is to picture what you want to happen. I can watch someone do something and then do it whereas all the technical analysis gets me nowhere.

No comments: