Sunday, July 23, 2006

horse lease?

Now I have to decide whether or not I want to lease a horse that my RI is hoping to take on. My leasing him will help pay for his board.

RI wants to charge me $250 a month for 3 days of riding. This is fine with me but then my lesson on Sat is $68 and the bareback on Wed nights is $38. omg, that comes to $674 per month!! yikes. I must be crazy. I need to discuss with her!

I would ride him in my lesson on Saturdays for sure. Wed nites I could probably ride him or the one I usually ride. If I rode lease horse on Weds, that would only leave me one more ride for my $250. And if I need to use another horse's tack like I did yesterday, that will be a problem because the times when I can ride (after work) the other is usually being used for a lesson. I guess I would ride him on Sundays when there are no lesson given.

If I can work out the tack problem and find out exactly what "training" I would be doing, I will probably do the lease. I have not had a chance to really discuss this with her. I hope to on Wed night. RI's helper has been told that this will be her first horse to train. hmmmmm I think I am being used for the financing of this horse (I know I am) so I need to be sure exactly what I will get out of it. I don't mind the $ so much but I don't want to feel taken advantage of in terms of amount of training I will help with (and learn how to do) and being limited for times to ride because of the tack. If I only rode him one extra day a week (Sundays) that would come to $62.50 a week. But I would be able to make friends with him and spend time there with him (I love being at the barn) and learn something as well.

Spent a lot of time this week answering oil & gas questions. Since this is supposed to be my area of expertise, all these get left to me. I realized that I am not so bad at it (many years of experience should do that!) but that if I left the company, all the things I just "know" about (in my head) would be unavailable to someone else. This is a typical librarian's problem which encompasses the whole idea of "knowledge management".

Knowledge management or basically any library work means manageing information from so many sources that knowing where to look, what the sources are, who to ask, what you may just know in your head, etc., is what is important. Getting an email reply such as "Dude, you're awesome!" is totally cool!! hey, all I did was get the monthly import total in $$ for India from 1968 to June 2006!

Today will be spent going to the gym, washing a few things, I hope sorting out some piles of papers and JUNK, cleaning out the fridge, getting a few more groceries, brushing a cat, calling mother-in-law and getting nowhere with that fiasco, thinking about horses, and most likely wasting most of my time doing nothing instead.

Thanks to someone special for setting up this blog for me :)

2 comments:

Liz said...

maybe try to make a bargain... like keep the bareback lessons and cut the other lessons and increase the lease times. if you're leasing the horse why do they limit you to only 3 times riding it? seems crazy! you should get to go as much as you want especially if you are doing a ton of work for the horse... after all your riding it is actually doing them a favor by keeping it trained and exercised.

karen h said...

It's a half lease, sorry